Procedures for requesting a change of designator are provided in Chapter 9 of BUPERSINST 1001.39F andMILPERSMAN 1212-010 and 1212-020. Requests should be submitted to PERS-911C via the officer’s Reserve chain of command to include the Reserve unit CO and Navy Operational Support Center (NOSC) CO. The enclosed Change of Designator matrix highlights community-specific requirements for requests. Please do not submit a change of designator request directly to a Detailer or Community Manager.
More specifically, for redesignation to 1825:
- you would need to submit a redesignation package per BUPERSINST 1001.39F.
- Please ensure you include your military/civilian resume and IWC LOU.
- Applications must be forwarded to NAVPERSCOM (PERS-911) via (1) Unit CO, (2) Naval Information Force Reserve (NIFR) Region OIC, and (3) Naval Information Force Reserve Command (CNIFR).
- To apply, you must meet the minimum eligibility requirements outlined in MILPERSMAN 1212-010 and 1212-030. These requirements must be certified by the NIFR Region OIC via an interview and endorsement letter. NIFR Region OICs are in the redesignation process for an endorsement for the following purposes: Verify basic eligibility; Conduct an SSBI/pre-screening eligibility interview; Substantive assessment of the candidate’s potential for success and general competitiveness for promotion; and ensure each candidate meets minimum physical fitness and height/weight standards, has not failed to select in their current grade, and is not likely to fail to select before the completion of Change of Designator (2 X FOS will not be approved).
- The NIFR Region OIC endorsement will be forwarded with a candidate’s package directly to PERS-911.
- Once PERS-911 receives, they forward to the SELRES Officer Community Manager who will look at the package from a RC perspective. If there are no manpower issues, the application is forwarded to the IWC Officer Community Manager for an approval/disapproval recommendation. Once an endorsement is provided, it is forwarded back to PERS-911 for processing. RC redesignation is continuous year round and does not culminate in a formalized board action.
- Once the candidate completes the steps above with the appropriate endorsements, the package can be forwarded to PERS-911 for a decision. The entire process upon receipt is 3-4 weeks to receive a response.
Source: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/reservepersonnelmgmt/officers/Pages/COD.aspx and personal communication with current OCM.